My daughter will be turning two in a few weeks, and she is driving us nuts! She has always been a happy, fairly well mannered kid. Lately, however, she has turned into a fussy whining kid.
She screams for no reason, throws temper tantrums, and starts throwing anything in her path. Yesterday was extremely bad. She was climbing down the stairs, then stopped, turned around, and started screaming and throwing a fit. She did things like this about every 10 minutes. She had a decent nap, got plenty of sleep, but was not a happy camper.
When she throws these fits we give her a time out by putting her in her crib until she calms down. This weekend she had over 15 time outs.
I really hope this is just a phase she's going through with the terrible twos. I miss my happy girl. Anyone have any tips to help us stay sane through this time?

Yep, it's a phase... Mine will be two on Saturday and he has been having a lot of fits lately. I think it's because they are becoming more independent but still can't communicate their wants and needs that well.
ReplyDeleteMy tip is to find something you really enjoy and do it after the kids are in bed whether there's stuff that needs done around the house or not. It helps keep you sane. We're going through that phase in our house right now. It's getting better as our son gets better communication skills.
ReplyDeleteExpect it to get worse before it gets better. Especially if there's an older sibling in the house because your 2yo wants to be a big kid, but struggles with still wanting to be a baby too.
my kids are going through their terrible two stage-they are more stubborn than ever! My kids do talk a lot so i get attitude from them both. My son tends to cry rather than explain what he wants. I ground my kids when they are acting up for no apparent reason- it helps because they listen afterwards.
ReplyDeleteHang in there! It should get better soon- thats what i was told so i hope its very soon!
Terrible Twos is NOTHING compared to the Tantrum throwing threes! With independence comes frustration. We do timeouts. Sometimes I just need a mommy timeout. Now that it is warm again, we'll be spending lots of time outdoors and hopefully that will help! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the twos!!! My daugher is 27 months and your description sounds like so familiar. There are some days where she you just cannot please her and with the tantrums you just feel helpless.
ReplyDeleteThe only thing keeping me sane most days is just realizing it's a phase I sometimes try to laugh when I can... laughing at my daughter seems to turn her around, she seems to feed on when I am frustrated and her temper is worse if I just laugh it off and tell her she is acting silly, she will sometimes join in.
Be prepared for days where nothing will please her, along with tantrums. This morning we had a banana with breakfast. We cried that we didn't want a banana and then when I took the banana away we cried because we wanted the banana. Just couldn't win!!! :o)
Someday we will all look back at these days and smile (hopefully... I think) and think they went by way too fast!
We are so with you, however things have not gotten much better for Chandler, and he's 3 1/2...ugh! He's just a very strong willed little kid and it's his way or the highway. It sounds like you are staying consistent with time out which I applaud you for. The moment you give leeway, the more they will test their limits. Hope it gets better!
ReplyDeleteMunch was fine until she actually turned two and I kid you not when I say she flipped the switch teh very next morning. I don't have any words of wisdom except remember that this too will pass and you can always invoke The Mother's Curse.
ReplyDeleteWe are heading down that road now. Britain will be 2 in July and she has started to throw tantrums a bit. Luckily, they've all been while we're home...but I dread the moment it happens in the middle of Target! lol!
ReplyDeletemine started this at 12 months I swear. For her, I know it comes from frustration in communicating. I hope it abates for you because I need the hope! hang in there momma, you are totally not alone :)
ReplyDeletewe did tons of signing times so we had very few tantrums. When we did have them, I just walked away (or move them to a safe area) and then I leave the room. Obviously doesn't work at the grocery store, but once he realized he wasn't getting the attention, it stopped pretty quick and we worked on using words and signs to communicate instead of yelling. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteFunny, I just visited your blog earlier today, and now found this post via MomDot! I have five children, but my #4 has been in her terrible two's for two years now! Our other four children are saints! If I have learned one thing, each child comes with his/her own personality... that is for sure! Good luck with this one!
ReplyDeleteMindy
Adopt a 'Do - Cute Girls Hairstyles
Thanks everyone for all your great tips! We've been working on sign as well, and she does really well with it, so that helps with our communication, but she's still throwing tantrums. Today has been better though, so I'm not as frustrated as I was yesterday!
ReplyDeleteYep it is a phase, I have two of them! It gets worse closer to three, so batten down the hatches mama. This is just their way of finding themselves and asserting their independence and since they can't really verbalize it all, it comes out in frustration called a tantrum. Offer her choices as much as possible, it seems to help!
ReplyDeleteYeah, gotta love those terrible two's. Kaydence isn't far behind. We do time outs as well and actually have been using the Keen Time Out Pad a lot lately.
ReplyDeletethe terrible 2s? OH no, its the terrible THREES you have to worry about.
ReplyDeleteSorry to tell you.
trisha
oh the screaming phase I remember those and they will pass
ReplyDeleteI have 3 girls...and all I can say is breath...because it get's a whole lot worse around age 3! Hang in there...you'll make it through!
ReplyDeleteVodka.
ReplyDeleteLMAO kidding.
The best you can do is use decisions. "Uh oh, if you act that way, you can't do....." (add whatever would be cool for her to do. That'll help (hopefully).
If all else fails, hide. ;)
Remain patient and consistent to discipline in love, both very difficult. As much as you may feel you've lost your sweet little girl, continue to encourage her and praise her when she does something good. One thing I've learned about phases, is they can last a long time and are always followed by another kind of phase.
ReplyDeleteCheck out my 4 year olds phase, Promote your Post here:
http://sippycupsandfingerprints.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-i-almost-went-to-jail.html
Welcome to life with a two year old and I won't even begin to tell you about the threes right now!!
ReplyDeleteYes, this sounds like two...you are doing the right things by being consistent/not giving her attention, etc, etc...if it is very sudden/totally out of the blue, I'd make sure she's feeling OK. MAM has always battled with ear infections, and there were some times where her behavior was AWFUL, then, 24 hrs later diagnosed with a bilateral ear infection.
ReplyDeleteShort of illness though, yes this is two. It is the best of times, it is the worst of times....hang in there!
Oh, honey. Just wait until you get to the threes... I'm halfway through now, and I would give anything to go back to the "terrible twos!"
ReplyDelete