Monday, October 13, 2008

In A Better Place

Uncle Bob, my Dad, and Uncle Randy

October is a month of mourning for my family. My Grandpa passed away near the end of October 9 years ago. It was hard to see him go, but we were ready. He suffered from Lewy Body Disease, a form of dementia. It's kind of a combination of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. He was bed ridden for two years before he passed away, and it was to the point that he didn't know who we were, and he didn't even talk anymore. So although we were sad to see him go, we knew he was suffering and would be in a better place.

Yesterday, my uncle Randy passed away from complications of lung cancer. He was diagnosed earlier this year with stage 4 out of 4 lung cancer. He has never been a smoker, nor ever been around smokers, and he didn't have any signs or symptoms of the cancer until he was diagnosed. He is one of the rare people who get lung cancer for no real reason. He was only in his 50's. He had undergone radiation and chemo, and things seemed to be looking up. They came to Utah for a vacation, and while he was here he ended up in the hospital, and has been in the hospital since Sunday. They had a chest tube in him, but took it out, and thought he was doing better. Then last night I got the call that he had passed away. All his family was there with him.

I am glad that we had time to prepare for it. We knew he was given 1-2 years at most to live when he was diagnosed. I just feel so sad for his kids. He has five, four girls and one boy who is severely down syndrome. None of them are married, and they are sad because their dad will never get to see any of them married, or see any of his grandkids, at least in the human form. We know he will be there in spirit watching over them.

I am so thankful though that I know that this life isn't the end. We will see our family again, and I know that my uncle is in a better place. He is now with his dad, and they will be watching over us. I'm sad that my dad does not have his father, or one of his brothers here, but I am thankful that we were able to prepare for it. I think loosing someone suddenly would be so much harder. Uncle Randy we will miss you, but we know you are in a better place now.


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Oh i am so sorry for your loss! Your family is in my thoughts during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete