
I don't know about you, but I've noticed that I don't get to listen to a lot of music like I used to. Now I hear a LOT of They Might Be Giants- Here Come the 123's or Here Come the ABC's. Or nursery rhymes, and other kids music. I don't even know what is popular right now, and I feel pretty much out of the loop.
When I was asked to be a part of Music Moms, a new group dedicated to bringing NON kids music to moms, I figured I'd give it a shot. I love music anyways, and this gives me a good excuse to listen to new things.
The first CD I received was The Birth of Cornelius by Corneille. Corneille has been a singer/writer/producer for a number of hits in Canada, France, and even Japan. This CD is his first done entirely in English. It's a soulful, R&B style, that is different than things I usually listen to, but I liked it. It's very calming and soothing, which is perfect for those days your kids are running wild and you need a break!
Here is the music video for the first song on the album- Back to Life.
I was reading through his bio, and wow, he has had quite the life. His parents and other family members were all killed in Rwanda during the genocide in 1994. He alone escaped and ended up in Germany with some family friends. He said, "Music has been the place where I could go to hide and forget about the world. I couldn't make sense of a majority of the things that happened to me, so I used music as a shield. But over time, music has become a vehicle to channel out everything that I've been keeping from myself for all these years. And the new album is definitely the most honest, real assessment of everything that's happened in my life, because I'm not trying to hide as much."
The Birth of Cornelius

I must check him out, Thanks!
ReplyDelete