Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Why do We Give?


In this world, most people want things, but aren't willing to give back. Many kids just say "I want that!" and throw a fit if they don't get it. Christmas time seems to be a time when many people actually think of giving back, but why does it just have to be then?

People need help all year long. I know I have concentrated on Christmas in the past to help out, but I'm trying to be better at giving more throughout the whole year. I am very fortunate to be a part of a church where service is such a huge part. Earlier this year I went in and helped create newborn packages with shirts, hats, booties, diapers, and many more things to be passed out to people all over the world who were in need. Most of these things were homemade. I know I've helped make some of these things before.

Growing up service was such a huge part of my life. I volunteered in a soup kitchen a few times, I worked at my old elementary school, I helped make baby blankets for the kids down at the LA Children's hospital, and I also did small and simple things. We used to love to ding dong ditch boxes of things for people in need. I remember even doing something as small as writing a letter to a new person in the neighborhood.

I know that the feeling I get from serving is the best gift I could ever get. I hope you think about this as the holiday approaches and I hope you try to teach your kids too. I was very blessed to have parents who were able to teach me by example, and I can't wait to do that with my daughter. So please, remember that it doesn't have to be anything big, sometimes just a simple smile, but remember to give to someone else. It will always brighten your day.

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. I love that book although it always makes DH cry.

    ReplyDelete