Friday, September 19, 2008

Momnesia: Finally a Reason Behind My "Duh!" Moments



If you are anything like me, you feel like you've become dumber after you've had kids. I used to be able to tell you exactly where anything was in my house. We never had to search (and that's not because of organization, because there is no organization in my house!). It was more that I could just remember the exact place I had left it. Now I am constantly searching for things.

I don't remember if I've done something that day, such as eating lunch. Or I remember something I want to look up on the computer, but as soon as I sit down, I can't remember.

My friend Katie wrote about this on her blog a while ago, but I am just now getting around to reading the article that USA Today wrote about a real issue moms suffer from called momnesia. The define it as "the mental fuzziness and memory lapses that set in shortly after childbirth."

Sound familiar? The article basically states that we are concentrated on caring for our kids, or worrying, and that takes up a lot of memory, so other things tend to get pushed to the back of our mind. Like you forget to put the milk in the fridge and place it in a cupboard instead, but you know when something is wrong with your kids.

I had a few momnesia moments this morning. I was taking a shower and had already used the soap to clean myself off. I rinsed out the loofa and placed it back on it's little hook. Then I immediately reached over and grabbed it off the hook again, poured the soap on it, and started rubbing it on my arm. Then I thought, "Wait, I just did this!" So I instead used it to clean my dd sitting in the tub with me, since I never get to shower alone!

I started thinking about momnesia and thought it would make a good post. I got out of the shower and got my little one, and then went in to get dressed and I couldn't remember what I was going to write about! I had to sit there on the bed and think, "Now, I was thinking about something in the shower that would make a good post, what was it?" Then I had to run through everything I had done, and it finally came back to me. "Oh yeah, momnesia!" I had momnesia about momnesia!

So I want to hear your momnesia stories! I know I'm not the only one out there that has her "duh!" moments!


Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. Oh, lord. Just reading this post I remembered three different things that I was supposed to do before lunch.

    Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha...When don't I have duh moments? I've had days where I get in the shower only to realize I still had half my clothes on. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the updated look of your blog...too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tagged you with something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds familiar! My youngest is almost 4 and I still have my moments. I have to write EVERYTHING down now. Seriously. Or I forget. Everything.

    I have something for you HERE.

    ReplyDelete