
Sponsors: Day Ten Blog Party Question is Brought to you by Organic Blankees, Huddy Buddy, and Baby Legs.
Do you decorate for the holidays? Do you have a themed tree? Share pics! Do you think there is such thing as OVER decorating?
Well, decorating in our little house has not been as big as it was in my parents house. Growing up we always went the first or second weekend in December to a tree lot nearby our house to pick out our tree. It had to be real, and it had to be a Douglas fir. The big bushy ones. As kids we would love to walk around the lot, smelling all the trees, and we'd find branches that had broken off and we'd use them as brooms. We'd usually find some wood chips that had been cut from the base of the tree, and we'd collect them to take home. We all loved to have that Christmas tree smell in our room.
Then we'd decorate the tree with all the ornaments we'd collected or made over the years. There was no matchy matchy for us. My Dad loves having garland and icicles on the tree, but my mom thinks that having both is too much, so we'd usually do either one or the other. I've noticed that lately though, my Dad has been getting his way more and more. Once the tree is decorated we have the lights on every night from then until we take the tree down a week or two after Christmas.
We always put lights up on the outside of the house, and we've finally talked my dad into wrapping some around the pillars we have out front. The past few years my mom has picked up some of those signs that light up in after Christmas sales so they've been putting those up on our brick wall lately. The inside of the house is decked out with all sorts of Christmas decorations, including a large wooden reindeer my mom made. We also have Mr. and Mrs. Clause dolls that my mom made years ago using bowling pins. I said something to my younger siblings a couple years ago, and they said they had no idea they were made from bowling pins, even though they'd seen them every year.
I'm starting to build my small supply of Christmas decorations, but there's not much. We finally broke down and bought a small fake tree a few years back, because I wanted a tree so badly. I did decorate that one all matchy matchy, but we got a new tree this year, so we'll see what happens. I would love to have a real tree, but for now, I think it's more economical to have a fake one. Maybe in a few years we'll get a real one!
As for over decorating, yes, I think it is possible. But that would take a LOT of decorations!

oh I like having the real tree too.. but the cost.. ouch!
ReplyDeleteI thought I would hate my fake tree, but 7 years later still loving it!!
ReplyDeleteI miss the real trees too, but a good quality pine-scented candle goes a long way towards enhancing the whole fake tree experience!
ReplyDeleteAww, sounds like you have some great family memories! I couldn't do anything but a real tree...it's expensive, but the smell of fresh pine is priceless!
ReplyDeleteI have to have a real tree every year. We're lucky that there's a tree farm nearby that sells them for under $10. I know most places are so much more expensive.
ReplyDeleteWow Staci. That would be awesome. Most of them here are about $50 or more.
ReplyDeleteWhat??? $10 for a tree??
ReplyDeleteOurs are closer to $100!
It amazes me that my husband, the cheapest man alive, would rather shell out $100 for a tree every year than buy a fake one.
you have to be careful with fake trees, we were looking for a lead free tree last year and found that they all start leaking lead after five years. We have a childs gate around our tree so they can't touch it. Ours is so bad it has lead warnings on the side of the box. Do not touch if you are pregnant
ReplyDelete