Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Season 4 of "The Closer"


I have heard of the series, "The Closer" starring Kyra Sedgwick, but never had the chance to see it, since we don't have cable or satellite. When I was given the chance to review this, I thought it would be fun, so I jumped on it.

The show was just nominated for several SAG awards, including:
  • Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series: Kyra Sedgwick
  • Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
  • Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Television Series
Being that I had never seen the show and I didn't know much about it, I went to the website for The Closer and read their summary. This is what it said:

Brenda (Sedgwick) is a former Atlanta detective who moved to Los Angeles to head a special police department unit that solves sensitive, high-profile murder cases. Brenda is a top-notch investigator and interrogator who pinpoints a suspect, traps them in their own lies and draws a confession.

Despite Brenda's brilliance as an interrogator, she is hopeless at LAPD politics and her many successes are contrasted with the challenges this creates. Brenda also faces conflicts with her fiancé, FBI agent Fritz Howard (Jon Tenney) and her parents . On the lighter side, she constantly tries to overcome her love of sweets, fighting cravings that surface each time she passes a vending machine.


I found this to be very true as I watched the episodes. The nice thing about this show is I could come in on the fourth season and not be completely lost. There are obviously some things I didn't get because I hadn't seen the previous shows, but for the most part, it was very easy to follow.

This series is somewhat similar to other crime fighting shows, but very different at the same time. First of all, the main person in charge is a woman. I found that very exciting. Second, they tend to get a lot more personal with the characters. It's not all about crime fighting. You tend to learn more about the character's lives than in other shows. Overall, I found it very entertaining.

The show will start again on Monday January 26th at 9/8 central, followed by the premiere of the new series "Trust Me".


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. I've never watched that show either, maybe I should!

    ReplyDelete