
One Fifth Avenue, by Candace Bushnell, was all about money and what people do when they have it, or when they don't have as much as they want. It was based in New York, and talked a lot about high society.
It was slightly confusing at first trying to keep all the characters straight, but once you got them figured out, it was fun to see how they all fit in together. There was a movie star, a film writer, a novelist, and many others.
I had a hard time connecting with these characters, because most of them seemed to be obsessed with money. In fact, one character was disapointed because she was only making $100,000 a year. Another wanted more than the $40 million he was making. If I had a portion of his salary, I would be set for life.
It was definitly an escape from my world though. These characters were living a completely different life than me, and it was a change to get a glimpse into the life of people living in high society. It was a full time job just being a wife with money. Having to make yourself look nice, making sure your house looked perfect, having to hire a publicist just because you had money. I never realized how important this was to them.
I had to laugh at all the technology and social networking that was talked about, such as facebook, blogging, You Tube, etc. This is definitly becoming a way of life, and entertainment is beginning to reflect this.
































0 comments:
Post a Comment