Sunday, February 1, 2009

Labor

Back on Labor Day, Shanon at Rocks in My Dryer put up this meme about, well, this is how she stated it: "In honor of Labor Day, it's about...well, labor. And not the kind you get a day off for, either."

Well, Cat from 3 Kids n Us is having a baby shower giveaway in honor of her last month of being pregnant. The first contest requires that you write about your labor, so I thought I'd re-share this story for you.

How long was your labor?

I'm not sure. I had a hard time feeling contractions, so according to the monitors I was having contractions every 5 minutes a week before I had her, and I didn't even know. But it was about an hour an a half from when my water broke, to when I had her. I did feel some small contractions then, but nothing major.

How did you know you were in labor?

My water breaking in the middle of the night. I was asleep and woke up in the middle of the night. I went to roll over, and realized things were a little too wet! I was scheduled for a C-section at 8 that morning, but she decided she wanted to come earlier, so I woke up at 3:30 to my water breaking! I had her a little after 5 in the morning.

Where did you deliver?

At the hospital.

Drugs?

Yes. I had to have a C-section so I couldn't do that without drugs! I had a spinal, and couldn't move my legs most of the morning!

C-section?

Yes. My daughter was breached, and although we tried an external version a week before, she didn't even move. They had to yank pretty hard to get her out, so she was stuck in there good!

Who delivered?

Her grandpa! My FIL is a OB-GYN, and while I didn't see him as my doctor while I was pregnant, I used the certified nurse midwives in his office. Since she was breached, the midwives couldn't deliver, the doctors had to, and I figured it was between my FIL and another doctor. My FIL has a great reputation, and since it wasn't a normal delivery, I was OK with her being delivered by her grandpa.

Early, Late, or On time?

Early. She was scheduled for the c-section a week before her due date, but my water broke early that morning, so she was determined to come that day, no matter what!




I just had to add this picture of my daughter from when she was born. Her legs were off to the side like that from the position she was inside of me. It took about a week or two for us to be able to move her legs in. And she would only look to one side. After a while of this we took her to a chiropractor and turns out one of her vertebrae was out of alignment. He fixed it, and she was fine after that!

4 comments:

  1. WOW That's a neat meme!! To bad we couldn't something like that everyday. HAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing to reflect on the birth process? I also felt obliged to discuss labour on "Labour" Day. It's amazing to think about how we produced these little beings.

    On with the Blog Trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, how sweet it is to keep it in the family. You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete